Thursday, September 08, 2005

The VDRL Race

I started the Vanderbilt Doctors Rotisserie League in 1987 as a second year medical student. From our humble beginnings in a cramped Medical Center North classroom to our current multi-state, web-connected operation, we keep on keepin' on. This year features a race where any one of four teams can take the title - fortunately, that quartet includes my squad.

The standings as of end of play tonight:
Ospreys - 69.5
Wizards of Ahs - 68.5
D'EAGGLes - 66.5 (that's me)
Last of the Bohicans - 64

My team name derives from an acronym for Domenic, Emilia, Angela, Gabriele, and Gianluca. I had a dream offensive night tonight: 21-for-45 (.467) with 5 HR and 10 RBI. Please don't spoil the mood by asking about my pitching (Jason Schmidt and Dan Wheeler hurled - and made me hurl - tonight; thank goodness for D-Train).

And if you are wondering why I am up so late, I had to prepare for tomorrow (actually, this) morning's Budget & Finance meeting, plus I am doing a financial analysis of the state of county over the past several years, generating spreadsheets, crunching numbers, and creating graphs. Remember, not all public servants are in it for the perqs - I am really trying to improve this community by improving its government (cue up stirring patriotic music in background). It ain't easy, particularly in New York. But at least it kept me up late enough to track the West Coast baseball stats. Now for 4 hours of sleep....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home