Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Bruce's Greatest Hits, Volume Two

July 8, 2005

Just back from the Bodog Convention in Las Vegas, where I spoke earlier today. Prior to me, Ditka and Reggie Jackson spoke. You can tell Ditka makes his rounds on the after-dinner circuit, he has a pretty polished presentation. Jackson, on the other hand, was not prepared, stammered like Foster Brooks on occasion (I had to ask a technical guy if there were microphone problems), and ended up taking the easy way out turning it into a marathon Q & A session with the star-struck attendees.

Jackson, by the way, ignored me as I was coming on stage with the other fellows on our panel discussion (Jackson spoke right before).  I had an old, 1966 Arizona State football media guide I was going to give him (the year after Reggie played for Kush, and his name was mentioned in 1965 statistics) if I had the chance, but I wasn't about to chase him down and appear like some groupie.

I asked Ditka the same question I asked Butkus on the radio show last year, that being what might have happened to the Bears had George Allen not left Halas' cocoon for the Rams, and ended up taking the Bears job instead of Jim Dooley. Whereas Butkus said it would have made all the difference in the world, and that the Bears could have become champions, Ditka explained how Allen would not have been able to flourish as a HEAD coach under Halas because the latter would never have given Allen complete control, and would have always had control of purse strings, to Allen's dismay.

That said, Ditka said mostly good things about Allen, though made sure to point out his peculiarities, including blaming Allen for spying on Landry's practices in Ditka's Dallas days.  I got the feeling Ditka respected Allen, and probably got something of a kick out of him, yet found him a bit odd (no surprise there). Ditka laughed for one of the few times in the presentation when relating some old Allen stories, and seemed to enjoy reminiscing about him...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home