Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Settled strikes seriously skewed!




Joe Montana carves up Dolphins in Palo Alto...



Very good, Paulie!

Points are all well-taken. For now, per your insights and suggestions, I am going to move up Raiders-Vikes a few spots, maybe switch around those 49er & Bear blowout SBs to go above 49ers-Marino Dolphins, and flip-flop Steel-Dallas I and Rams-Pats.

As for my "historical context" categorizations, by me, at least, I only grant two Super Bowls such distinctions...I & III. In my book, in terms of relevancy, it's pretty much those two games, and the rest.

You have a point on the strikes and the purity of those seasons ('82 in particular, and, to a lesser extent, '87 and the 3 weeks of "strike ball") compared to others, but my mission, for the most part ,though I reserve the right to justify any changes (!), is just to simply rank the games in comparison to one another, mostly (though, admittedly, not always) irrespective of mitigating factors. By that very broad definition, Dolphins-Skins in SB XVII looked like a regular game, and was better than most SBs.

Were I to rank overall NFL seasons, 1982 would be at the bottom of my list (with the possible exception of a Dallas Super Bowl winning year). Still, farcial or not, the 1982 season was what it was, and by most accounts we ended up with a pretty good Super Bowl.

Keep those comments and suggestions coming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home