Tuesday, January 17, 2006

This is what I am talking about

No national press coverage, just a random pickup while reading Jay Nordlinger's Impromptus. Why don't we hear about these things?

On the SB rankings: points duly noted. I think I allow disappointment in the outcomes to influence my thinking, which is why I am so down on the Cowboys 27-10 thumping of the Broncos. I was first upset that the Raiders weren't there, and then further let down by the Broncos (mostly Craig Morton) playing as if the deal with the devil expired at some point before the opening kickoff.

That goes to some extent as well for the Skins' 27-17 win. I agree with you that the game was competitive and in that sense better than many, but the entire context of that game leaves a stench (for me, at least). I don't regard that one as a genuine title game, as I don't regard the '81 Dodgers as having won a real World Series. Decisions made in the aftermath of settled strikes seriously skewed the competitive nature of the '81 baseball post-season and the '82 NFL season. I suppose I am still bitter to some extent, but I would also argue that if some games get bumped up based on historical context (e.g., Jets 16-7), then bumping down for a similar reason doesn't seem out of line. That is the same logic I used for suggesting bumping up the 32-14 Raiders win over some other lopsided scores, all of your reasons to the contrary having been noted.

As far as the 55-10 and 46-10 games go, I think I would put them ahead of the 38-16 game. All blowouts, to be sure, but the dominant Niners and colorful Bears make those games more memorable than the Dolphins only Marino-era appearance, in my estimation.

PS: Did you catch the alliteration in the 3rd paragraph?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home