Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Color Blind Literally

I was raised to believe that America was a color blind society, the great melting pot where people the world over came for freedom and to become a part of the greatest country the world has ever seen. I still remember my grandfather telling me about sailing to America when he was a young boy. He talked of the light emanating from the statue of Liberty as if it were the Star of Bethlehem.

My grandparents all came from Italy during the great wave of European immigration in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. While justifiably proud of their ancestry, they were overjoyed to be Americans. My parents taught that us that we were very forunate to be born here, and that in America didn't matter where you came from. In America if you believed and worked hard, your dreams would come true.

My parents never referred to people with hyphenated names such as Italian - American,
Irish - American, or African - American. By the way why do we say African - American, but not European American ? Shouldn't we at least be consistent and say Nigerian - American or Eithiopian - American ? I digress.

As we all know , the PC crowd hates the melting pot concept and celebrates " diversity ". This is as we all know, a code word for the Balkanization of America. Groups that come here that refuse to assimilate are praised, and given welfare on top of it so that they can spend it on materials to make bombs and kill Americans. La Rasa ( sic) a radical Latin group that refuses to speak the language andwants to annex Texas and California for Mexico is praised in the mainstream (captive) media. Islamic terrorists are hailed as rebels, beheadings be damned.

In any event throughout this debate I have always been an advocate of the melting pot, color blind society. Until recently that is. Now I am not so sure. During the World Series, I watched several black players perform for the Astros. However, Joe Morgan stated that these players weren't really black because they were from Latin American countries. I scratched my head and shook it off .

Then I found myself watching TV one night not long ago and Secretary Rice appeared on the screen. The picture on my TV was clear ( had it checked after the World Series), and I didn't have anything to drink. Yet as I watched this women of color on the tube, I heard the commentator state that she wasn't really black. I rubbed my eyes and blinked. A few moments later Justice Thomas appeared on the screen. I stared intently at his face without distraction and saw a back man with a very dark complexion. Yet the commentator told me he wasn't black either. I rubbed my eyes again and even checked my pulse.

I then decided that it had to be the channel I was watching. So I flipped to another station and lo and behold there was Bill Clinton on the screen. Once again I stared intently at his face, but this time I walked right up to the screen. He surely looked to me like a guy you'd expect to see in the front row at a tractor pull. Yet once again I was shocked as the news anchor told me that he was the first black president. Egads !

I was now in a state of shock. What did this mean. Are 90% of the guys in the NBA white ? Is 98% of the NHL black ? Are the overwhelming majority of prisoners on death row black ? And more importantly what does this all mean for Hallie Berry ?

I don't know if all you can make any sense of this. But if you can shed some light on this issue let me know. As for me, I'm off to the eye doctor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home