Saturday, September 24, 2005

They keep pulling me back in!

"Those damn Phillies!"

That's my Aunt Emma's signature line - spoken more times in grief than she or I would care to remember.

Having been burned several hundred times in exchange for that one glorious World Series title in the magical year of 1980, I have tried not to allow my emotions to become invested in a team that promises to disappoint again and again. But I have finally resisted the urge to stay detached. After last night's game, with a 5-run ninth inning rally to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat (after having snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, i.e., blowing a 6-1 lead), I will have to allow heart and soul center stage as I watch the final 9 days of the regular season unfold.

What a weird road trip it has been! The freaky 10-run ninth, with the Marlins imploding. The 4-run ninth in Atlanta when Bobby Cox didn't pinch-hit for Tim Hudson in the eighth, keeping the scoreless tie into the final frame. The Ryan Howard salami in extra innings. If you believe in things like destiny, well, these are the sorts of things that make such a belief, well, believable.

So, Aunt Em, keep watching and cheering. Every now and then I get to hear you say "Those damn Phillies" with a smile in your voice and joy in your heart, because they actually did something worthy of your 80+ years of fandom. Here's hoping that when we talk the week after next, the talk will include Phillies' playoff baseball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home