Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Perfect Game

My Dad, Mark, and I went to the Phils - Giants game last Saturday and the evening couldn't have been more perfect. We bought up an upper deck ticket for $12 bucks ( we already had two $35 tix in the lower level on the first base side) and we all ened up sitting together.

Then when we walked in, we found out it was Ryan Howard Growth Chart poster night and Mark got a poster of one of his favorite Phils which is now hanging on his wall. A few seconds later,a Phils employee approached me and asked if Mark was my son. I responded affirmatively and asked " what did he win". Of course, I was just joking. But I was shocked when the young lady replied that Mark had won the right to go onto the field with the grounds crew, along with some other kids after the bottom of the third inning.

We arrived two hours early for a 7pm game, and grabbed a bite to eat and sat down to watch batting practice. When we were finished Mark and I walked down to the first row because he wanted to see the players up close and wanted to get a baseball.

We went down to the edge of the dugout, and when I looked in I saw a baseball on the ground, but it was out of my reach. Just when I was contemplating how to get the ball, a camera man came by and set up in the dug out.I aksed him to flip me the ball and he happily did so.

We returned to our seats just in time to hear the PA anouncer state that the Kentucky Derby would be shown on the big screen. Presto ! We had front row seats to Barbaro's impressive win. A short while later, the game began and I heard Mark exclaim "'Look there's Grandpop !" Sure enough Big Al was on the big screen for all to see, and a moment later Mark and I joined him.

At the top of the second, Mark and I headed to section 125 behind home plate just as directed. While en route, I anticipated that there would be about twenty kids there. To my surprise, Mark was one of only three. The Phillies ushers were wonderful and took the kids donwstairs to the field, after telling the parents that we were not invited.I was disappointed that I didn't have a camera, but my disapppointment was short lived. A mother of a young girl who was also picked to go on the field offered to take pictures for me and to mail them to me.

The Big Moment came after the bottom of the third. At that point, Mark and the other two kids ran onto the field with the grounds crew. While running out, they were pictured on the big video screen and their names were announced over the loud speaker.One kid ran to first, one to second, and Mark to third.

I was thrilled to watch Mark and the grounds crew guy remove the old third base together. Then they both put down a new third base, and Mark ran off the field carrying the old third sack. While he was out, there he came within a few feet of some Giants as well as some Phillies. It gave me the chills.

Meanwhile, the Mom who took the digital pictures showed me how they turned out and they looked awesome. I should receive them in the mail next week.

We then returned to our seats and enjoyed the Phils 4 -1 win. To top it off, Barry looked terrible. On one play he was called out while running from first to second when he was hit by a batted ball.

What more could you possibly ask for ? A Ryan Howard poster, the three of us shown on the big screen, a baseball, the Derby, an appearance on the field for Mark, and the Phils not yet mathematically eliminated. I told Mark that he'll forever be able to tell his friends that he made it to third base in a big league game. Truly a perfect game !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home