Monday, February 06, 2006

Misleading scores...

Paulie, off the top of my head, that Ravens-Titans game stands out. I will look it up, but I believe the Ravens got one or two TDs via special teams (I know an early blocked FG accounted for one of them), and maybe another by the defense. In the case of that year's Ravens, as well as the 1985 Bears, their defenses were almost like offenses. That's the way those teams played, and I remember thinking there wasn't much fluky about the Ravens five years ago. That's just how they won games! I swore there were games those Ravens and '85 Bears played where their defenses could have stayed on the field for the entire game, and they would have still won the game.

I want to say there was a Vikings playoff game in the '70s against the Rams that was wildly misleading, too. Could have been the '76 NFC title game, especially the 1st half when Minnesota basically did nothing but still led thanks to that long blocked FG return off Tom Dempsey. The heavy rain playoff game in '77 vs. the Rams at the Coliseum might be another.

Something tells me there might be some other wildly misleading playoff scores in the past, but this is going to require some research. A fun project, however, so I'll start looking...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home