Sunday, January 01, 2006

Ralph's Friendly Skies

First, a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all!!! Yes, I am really writing this post at 3:34 a.m. EST, having returned home with Mom, Dad and Ralph from a wonderful gathering at the home of my good friends, Marti and Luis Jimenez about an hour ago. Though I struggled a bit to remain alert on the drive home (assisted by 99.9 FM, KISS Country on the radio...and the sounds of Dad and Ralph snoring), I recently caught my second wind. So, despite a glass of wine and two -- two! -- glasses of Asti, here I am, happily typing away.

Paulie has already heard this story, but it bears repeating. After a wonderful Christmas visit in Philly (especially fab because I got to see all 10 nieces and nephews), Mom, Dad, and Ralph flew back with me to South Florida on Friday morning. Little did they know when we planned this a month ago, but I am a firm believer in catching the earliest flight possible, to avert any chance of delay(and to assuage my fear of flying...best for me to simply get up and go, with no time to think about it).

So, for these two very good reasons we all arose at the God-forsaken hour of 4:30 a.m., in order to catch a 7:20 a.m. USAirways nonstop to West Palm Beach. It seemed uneventful enough as we participated in the familiar drill of producing ID at Check-In, removing shoes and producing ID yet again at Security checkpoint, and boarding by "Zones," a recent USAirways changeover from boarding passengers by rows.

Due to heavy Holiday travel I'd been unable to seat us all together; however, we were all within close proximity, just a few rows apart, with Mom and I on the left side and Dad and Ralph on the right. In my determination to hide my purse under the seat behind me (I was in the bulkhead and did not want to place my handbag in the overhead bin), I did not notice the young woman with the dark hair and special needs as she took her aisle seat next to Ralph, though it would only be a few moments until everyone on the aircraft would make her acquaintance.

As someone who "tolerates" flying as the most efficient form of travel, take-off is my least favorite part of the experience. However, as I chatted with the guy next to me and thought of the warm Florida sunshine, I felt relatively calm and relaxed....that is, until the 757 revved the engines and sped down the runway on its way to a cruising altitiude of 36,000 feet. Moments before we left the ground, it began: The shreiking, high-decibel, hysterical wails of "OH MY GOD, I CAN'T DO THIS! I CAN'T DO THIS! OH MY GOD!!!"

Panicked thoughts of engine failure or fire rushed through my brain, until I turned my head to see this poor girl absolutely consumed with aerophobia and trepidation, despite the attempts of the wonderful woman seated across the aisle to soothe her. And then I realized that the young woman was barely able to move her arms and legs, and that she was obviously suffering from some type of emotional disorder as well. But something else struck me the most; something wonderful.

Just when I think Ralph cannot do another thing to inspire pride and admiration, he does yet another thing to amaze me. And it was no accident that he happened to be seated next to this terrified passenger. The look of complete compassion and concern on his face as he gazed at her was something to behold.

At first, it appeared that Ralph felt a little helpless, though eager to assist, and as the flight went on, I'd glance back every now and then to find him fluffing her pillow and stroking her arm. It must have had an effect, because she settled down once we leveled off.

However, once the pilot began his descent into West Palm Beach, the plaintive wails resumed. This time, as I looked back, I heard Ralph gently offer: "Are you afraid? Wanna hold my hand?" From my limited vantage point, I could not tell if she took him up on that, but Ralph later assured me she did.

A most touching and heart-warming experience, and another reason to thank God for such a beautiful brother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home