Saturday, December 31, 2005

More NFL History

Uncle Brucie, I have always been fascinated by the final standings in the Coastal Division in '67 between the Colts and Rams. As you know from '67 - '69 the NFL went to those funky division names.They had the Capital and Century in the East and the Coastal and I think the Central in the West. I remember that the Birds, Dallas, and Washington were fixtures in the Capital, but that the Giants and Saints switched back and forth between the Capital and Century.

Anyway I have always been intrigued by the unusual records of the Colts and Rams that year both 11 - 1 - 2. The only other teams in the modern era that I can remember with 2 ties were the '70 and '71 Raiders who both finished 8 - 4 - 2. Getting back to the Colts and Rams, I presume that they tied each other once and that the Rams won the other game. I know the Rams went to the playoffs where they lost to Lombardi's last Packer team 28 -7, despite Tony Guillory's blocked punt.

Is my memory correct ? Did they tie once with the Rams winning the other game ? Did they tie twice with the Rams winning the division on a coin flip or another tie breaker ? If they only tied each other once, who did they each tie in their other tie game that year ? I know that the Pack finished 9 - 4 - 1 and the Eagles I think finished 6 - 7 -1. Thanks Brucie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home