Sunday, January 01, 2006

Fit to be tied...6-0-4!

Jackie Robinson in action for the 1939 UCLA Bruins...



Talking about ties, here's one for you. The 1939 UCLA Bruins, coached by Babe Horrell, ended their season 6-0-4! A young halfback named Jackie Robinson enlivened proceedings for that Bruin team, which was a pioneer of sorts, also featuring other black stars such as Kenny Washington and Woody Strode (later an actor) in the '30s. As mentioned before, wonder how many of these punks in L.A. high schools who love SC because it's "in the hood" realize the Trojans had a segregated team policy long after UCLA had integrated its teams. That might cause Spike Lee and Snoop Doggy to exchange their cardinal and gold shirts for blue and gold (both have been hanging around SC lately, since the Trojans are winning).

By the way, in regards to a long-ago post about singer Bono, now I feel even more out of the loop. My wife and daughter tell me his name is not pronounced like Sonny or Steve, but more like a bon-bon, or Bahn-o. Not only didn't I know who this guy was, but I didn't even know how to pronouce his name when I read it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home