Saturday, December 17, 2005

Christmas in South Florida

Merry Christmas to all (please read disclaimer on Bruce's former posting if this greeting offends you)! This is my first post, and I am so excited to be the "token" female blogger in the group! I have enthusiastically accepted Doc Paul's invitation to join this "geographically diverse" crew and opine on everything from politics to sports (as Paul well knows, I am an avid "fitball" fan!). Guess we can now claim that this blog is also "gender friendly," so none of the "Lefties" out there can accuse us of being "sexist" (at least until they figure out that I am a conservative female).

I won't be blogging much on football this season, however, as my sadness and disappointment over T.O. and the Eagles is best assuaged by pretending the sport is on a temporary hiatus. Being in business for myself and focusing on the Christmas Season has greatly enhanced this effort.

Speaking of which, I love Christmas in South Florida, which includes festive boat parades on the Intracoastal, 100 Foot Christmas trees and -- believe it or not -- Nativity Scenes in public places! I am happy to report that Boca Raton and Deerfield Beach each have life-size Nativities displayed proudly alongside Menorahs and Christmas trees. Since most of what we hear and see on the news centers on controversies over this blessed Holiday, I wanted to point out some good things right here in South Florida. And, as a matter of interest, there are at least 8 Catholic Churches in Boca Raton that I can think of, in addition to a myriad of Protestant ones (the largest being Bibletown, in the heart of East Boca). So Christians are well-represented here, too.

For a sampling of events, check out this link to Delray Beach, the most family-friendly town in terms of activities and events. I'll be taking Mom, Dad and Ralph to Atlantic Ave. on New Year's Eve for "First Night," a big street party featuring music, art and the aforementioned 100 Foot Christmas tree.

Although I grew up with cold and sometimes, snowy, Christmases, I love the fact that I can enjoy Holiday festivites without shivering! And for the very first time, I will be participating in one of the areas biggest events -- Fort Lauderdale's Winterfest Boat Parade (ok I concede, it is a glaringly PC title). Still, I cannot wait to board a 93 foot yacht, wave to bystanders as we cruise down the intracoastal and take in the beautiful light displays on the magnificent homes. I'll miss the balmy breezes come Monday, when I land in chilly Philadelphia, but seeing the family will make it a warm and memorable Holiday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home