Saturday, October 08, 2005

Ola Halos!

That was a wacky win - not quite in the same class as the 15-14 game in the 1993 Series, but it had its charms. 5-0, 5-6, 11-6, 11-7. The suits at ESPN and Fox cannot be happy that the Bosox are out and the Yankees are on life support.

I hit the campaign trail today despite the rain. I think you gain a bit of sympathy showing up at the door with a wet mane. Every two years I fear doing this, and every two years I learn how much I like it. I have met some remarkable people while campaigning, from a Holocaust survivor to the grandparents of a freshly minted Vanderbilt graduate. The woman who survived the Holocaust graciously told her stories to me and Emmy one day a couple of years ago when Emmy was learning about this era in school. Sadly, her husband passed away a few months ago. He was an American GI in WWII, but was originally from Germany.

I always seem to run across at least a few people who buck up my spirits. The old guy who knowingly says "They give you grief in the newspaper, but I've been following what you're doing, and doing a great job". The schoolteacher who still hasn't forgotten a presentation I did for her class probably five years ago now, who offered me an umbrella (I was relying on a waterproof pull-over with a hood), and immediately lent her support, not just for herself but for her neighbors two doors down ("When you see Cathy and Carol, tell them I sent you"). She couldn't find an umbrella (I watched "Lazy Town" with her two sons while she looked), but I was happy for her having made the offer (and trying to secure me two more votes). A few minutes later, she emerged from her house, rain pouring down, to track me down to give me her umbrella. Moments like that make it seem worthwhile.

I also remember a grouchy old SOB who attacked me in 2001 because I wasn't a Democrat. He didn't want to hear a word beyond my being a Republican. This year (and in 2003) I managed to go to his house while he wasn't home - YES! I try to visit homes that I missed the first time on a second go-round, but not households like that one. Maybe if I explained to him all the reasons why I am disappointed in the GOP (locally and nationally)... Nah!

Anyway, I hope he enjoys seeing the palm card list, which includes "Endorsed by the CSEA". I bet he'll choke a bit on his oatmeal reading that!

Off to Cleveland tomorrow for a Sunday baptism. Back to the campaign trail Monday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home