Monday, September 05, 2005

NFL's Best? What? Where?

Dan - If we are going to be a self-respecting blog, we have to link to whatever it is that we are discussing, or else we are just discussing each other's posts. I tried to find NFL's Ten Best on the ESPN site, but was unsuccessful. Was this something only on TV? If so, then all I can do is agree with your observations, but I am unable to comment further on whatever list it is that you are referencing. If you have a link, please post it.

However, we could do our own Best of the NFL, maybe by decade. You old dudes know something about football in the '60's, but I don't get started until into the '70's, when Eddie Khayat raised the hopes of a city by taking an 0-5 squad (he arrived when they were 0-3, so 2 of those losses are his) and delivering a 6-2-1 finish. Eddie only won a third of that total the entire next season, and the "Beagles" signs and the ugliness that can be a disgruntled Philly football crowd was on full display.

I remember attending my first regular season football games at The Vet as a 7 year old, watching the Cowboys and 49ers absolutely pound the Eagles. Our seats were behind one end zone, and close enough to the field that you could see the players' faces when the ball was inside the 15 yard line or so. I remember thinking, in ways that little boys do, that the other teams were composed of giants (the fairy tale kind, not the Meadowlands kind), and that the Eagles were mere puny mortals. I have this image of a 49ers lineman slapping the ball out of the Eagles' QB throwing hand right in front of us and the Niners recovering for a TD. I remember Al Nelson (or was it Nate Ramsey? I always got those two confused) running back a missed Cowboys FG attempt late in the game for a TD. The Cowboys won that game, 42-7, so one might wonder why they were trying a FG late in the game. It does explain the visceral hatred for the Cowboys that is felt by all self-respecting Eagles' fans.

Anyway, back on topic: why don't we start with the '70's - our choices for best of the NFL. The Eagles will be poorly represented on such a squad, although a case could be made for Bill Bergey somewhere among the linebackers (not in the Jack Lambert class, perhaps, but only a shade below). Some underrated Birds from that era include Carl Hairston and Charlie Johnson. Guys who would get an honorable mention or more who wore the green and white include Wilbert Montgomery, Harold Carmichael, Bill Bradley, and some I am sure I am forgetting. The first name that comes to mind for the entire NFL is Terry Bradshaw, as author of 4 Super Bowl victories. But I will have to take my time and cogitate on this one, as I wouldn't want to overlook such worthies as Po James and Pete Liske in my rush to be first.

I can only look forward to Bruce's contribution, as I will feel like the schoolboy that I was up against what will be his erudite selections.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home