Sunday, January 29, 2006

St. Mary Magdalen Parish and NHL

Sorry, I haven't been bloggin lately guys, but my computer to paraphrase Chevy Chase is " on the fritz". I'm in the market for a new computer and welcome your suggestions. Anyway, I read Doc Paul's request and I'm only too happy to tell the story of Don Saleski's enrolling in the parish. At the time this was definitely an NHL parish, already boasting the Watson brothers of Smithers ,B.C.

I was a sophomore then in the Spring of '74 and my religion teacher was Fr. Thiers, (a truly great priest) known as "Thiersy" to his friends. He was in the rectory office when Don and his wife came to enroll. While taking down information from the couple Thiersy asked " Big Bird" what he did for a living and he replied " I play hockey". Thiersy was stunned to hear this, so he asked a second time stating emphatically " no really, what do you do for a living." When Saleski gave him the same answer, Thiersy responded " oh, of course" and completed the application process. He told us in class a few weeks later that he had no idea who " Big Bird" was, who the Flyers were, or what Don was talking about. Believe me the story was lot funnier when Thiersy told it than it is in print. Paul can appreciate it, because he knows the guy. Probably Daria too.

Another great parish NHL story occurred the day after the Flyers lost Game 6 to the Islanders in 1980. That was the game where the Islanders "scored" in OT to win the Cup. The goal was allowed even though Butch Goring was 6 feet offsides. Much to our chagrin, but I'm sure to the absolute delight of Louden Wainwright, III. That was the call that prompted Ed Snider to say "the ref should be shot".

Anyway Paul and I are walking out of 10:30 Mass the very next morning, and there was Jimmy Watson and his wife as they were every week. Paul and I approached him and we spoke about the game for 10 minutes. Can you imagine any athlete today talking to the fans for free, let alone the day after their team lost the championship on a terrible call. I don't think so. Nevertheless, let me end on these two great hockey memories on a positive note. To quote the great Gene Hart, "good night, good hockey."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home