Monday, January 23, 2006

Big Bird (aka The Pride of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan)

I'm not sure when the Big Bird went with the perm, but it doesn't appear to have been during the Stanley Cup campaigns. Maybe I will look him up at his place of business and e-mail him personally - some questions cry out for an answer.

PS: Mark has a great Don Saleski story about when he registered at St. Mary Magdalen's Parish and had to deal with a sports-illiterate priest (Fr. George Thiers) who was a high school teacher of Mark's at the time, and who later taught me (and, I think, Carolyn). Fr. Thiers was otherwise a brilliant guy. Mark - you need to post the story!

UPDATE: Here's a quote from Don Cherry that gives a clue as to the timing of Saleski's perm:

Don Cherry on Don Saleski, who he coached in Colorado:

"I remember taking a look at him and saying ‘Anyone who perms his hair has got to go’. So we sent him to Fort Worth."

UPDATE 2: Saleski played in Fort Worth in 1979-1980, so we can narrow it down to 1975-1979 ("Grapes" Cherry became the head coach of the Colorado Rockies - I love typing that name in regard to a hockey team - in 1979).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home