Friday, September 30, 2005

I was clearly missing something

Here's what had me scratching my head (spoiler at the end):

If the White Sox had a 3-game lead over the Indians as they prepared to play a 3-game series against each other, why are the White Sox the division champs? I mean, this isn't football, with tie-breakers, right? If the Indians sweep, don't they have a 1-game playoff to determine the division winner?

OOPS! I finally found the definitive word at mlb.com:

Chicago's victory reduced its magic number to one, clinching a tie for the AL Central title. But even if the Indians were to sweep the three-game set at Jacobs Field this weekend, thus clinching a playoff berth, the White Sox (96-63) would win the tiebreaker for the AL Central crown with an 11-8 edge in head-to-head play.

The reason the White Sox and Indians wouldn't play a one-game playoff is because, with the Red Sox and Yankees playing each other this weekend, one team would be guaranteed to finish out of the playoffs if the Indians swept the White Sox. And in instances in which teams are guaranteed to make the playoffs, MLB does not use a one-game playoff, instead relying on head-to-head matchups to break the tie.


Glad that got cleared up - I was really wondering what planet I was on last night as they claimed that the division was decided, and here I am wondering if I had forgotten how a 3-game lead with 3 to play secured anything. Anyway, what's reassuring is that the Indians have control of their situation: win and in, lose and take your chances. Should make for a great weekend of baseball (non-Phils baseball, that is).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home