Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I stand corrected...



I suggest dressing up the Canadian women's team in mid-'70s Pittsburgh Penguins outfits. More below...



Okay, I am used to owning up to mistakes (hard to survive at TGS if I couldn't do otherwise).

And so it is that I must change my stance on women's ice hockey. I gave it a chance the past two mornings. Usually, we wake up to MSNBC, which means I get to see Amy Robach or Kristine Johnson first thing every morning. Except for the last two mornings when instead I have been greeted by Bill Clement and Tony's sister Cammi Granato in studio, previewing the women's hockey.

There is nothing else on in those early hours so I have actually sat through a couple of these women's games (including Sweden's merciless 11-0 pounding of outmanned, er, out-womaned Italy yesterday, and Canada's subsequent 8-1 mauling of the Swedes this morning). Surprisngly, these games are not bad viewing at all. Sometimes I actually think I enjoy it as much or more than watching some NHL games. The women's game is slower, but speed is relative. You can really watch the plays develop in women's hockey, where the sticks don't come up, the gloves don't come off, and there are none of the cheap shots that make the NHL famous. I have noticed that the goalies are not as exciting as the NHL goalies, who can flop around and make spectacular saves. Short of that, however, there isn't a lot different watching the women as opposed to watching the men. In a sense, it is a purer hockey game.

Have noticed that the star of the Canadian women's team is former Penguin Syl Apps' daughter, and granddaughter of the original Syl Apps from the 40s, Gillian Apps. In honor of the Syl Apps we remember growing up, I suggest the Canada team wear Pittsburgh Penguin jerseys, circa mid '70s, recalling the "Century Line" with Apps, Lowell MacDonald, and Jean Pronovost. Ms. Apps attends Dartmouth where she stars for the Big Green women's hockey team! Her game is more Phil Esposito-like, however, as she simply camps in front of the net and dares defenders to keep her away. Young Ms. Apps might be bigger than Esposito, however, and maybe the present-day Penguins ought to consider signing her to take some pressure off Sidney Crosby!

John Wooden has often said this in recent years about women's basketball vs. the men's version, that the women's version is the purer one today, where fundamentals are more important than raw athleticism, and where a premium is still placed on teamwork. I haven't quite shared the Wizard's view on hoops, because in basketball you really can tell the women's game is slower, and we have gotten used to some of the spectacular stuff in the men's game that the women can't match. In hockey, however, those delineations are far less clear.

Still a long way to go before I become a huge women's hockey fan, but after giving it a chance, at least I've found another Winter Olympic sport I can watch...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home