Thursday, December 01, 2005

Stephen A$$ Smith

As I read this column, I got the feeling that he started with a title and then tried to write a column around the thesis embedded in the title. So he thinks that Phillies are a moribund organization? Okay, but that's because they are moving the left field fence back? He seems to think that this will only affect the opposing team and was done to bolster the Phillies' thin pitching. Sure, Stephen A.

He then seems to want to give Pat Gillick credit for having made a smart trade (by the way, SAS, he got TWO pitchers in the deal) and bringing a sense of direction to the club, but the nebulous "Phillies", as if they exist as an entity apart from the individuals who make up the organization, won't allow him to succeed.

Jeez, my ability to stay current with sports has lagged, and I sit in awe of Bruce and Dan when they write about the sporting world with a depth that I can't begin to match. But I still could write a more insightful column than the drivel that SAS serves up. But I probably wouldn't be willing to go on ESPN and serve up needlessly provocative BS, whereas that appears to be SAS's stock in trade.

So sorry to see you go, Bill Lyon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home